Monday, April 16, 2007

Kalifornia Kops

Being that I was born and raised in rural South Dakota, I feel as though I have a firm grasp on what would and would not be considered trashy. I would even go so far as to say that I'm an expert on the topic. That being said, one of the (few) reasons I was excited to move to Southern California when the opportunity arose two years ago, was that I'd finally have an opportunity to distance myself from of the less refined ways of the Upper Midwest.

*sighs*

Instead, I ended up in the reddest part of a dark blue state, in regards to both politics and necks. Never in my life have I seen as many jacked-up pick-up trucks as I have since I moved here. But be that as it may, it was only this weekend at work that I realized how bad it really was ...

I was working late at the office, when I noticed several coworkers gathered around one of the many televisions mounted on the office walls. They stood there for nearly 15 minutes talking amongst themselves and gesturing at the television before I finally gave up and wandered over to see what the fuss was. What my coworkers were so entranced by was an episode of COPS filmed entirely in our metropolitan area. I can only hope they were watching to see if they could see area landmarks and not people they actually knew.

My life is now officially a sitcom.

No comments: